Parents may choose to home school their child for a number of reasons—including the need for flexibility, to help their young learner reach his or her full potential, or to avoid social issues, like bullying, prevalent in public schools.
The SCCS Homeschool program provides students with a personalized learning opportunity that allows for their unique strengths to really shine. Parents are given the chance to be involved firsthand in their child’s education, and to help him or her thrive academically, and prepare for a promising future.
This program is different than other homeschool options, because it brings together the parent, student, and an experienced, credentialed teacher to create a rich, rewarding education for the child. Teachers go above and beyond to really get to know each family personally, discuss the material, and offer suggestions and resources to help the student along. By tailoring curriculum to the student’s interests, learning style, and personal pace, he or she will gain confidence, along with the knowledge and skills needed to be successful in today’s world.
This program is designed for kindergarten through eighth-grade students, providing:
- A wide range of resources and valuable opportunities to customize learning experiences at home
- Help from a California-credentialed teacher to facilitate student learning and achievement
- Flexibility in selecting curriculum that will intellectually stimulate students, and suit their individual learning style, needs, interests, and pace
- Curriculum materials and a list of general curriculum requirements with Common Core Standards by grade level
- Grading based on a standards-based system
Teachers don’t just hand parents a packet of materials and send them on their way. Students attend classes one to two times a week, when it’s convenient for them, at one of the enrichment sites—located in Mission Viejo, Tustin, and Carlsbad. The program also offers field trips and other social events for students, like park days, ice skating, laser tag, and community-service opportunities, like beach clean ups.
Shawna MacDonald, Principal